Table of Contents
- Overview of Energy systems engineering
- Scope of Energy systems engineering
- Is Energy systems engineering a good career?
- Career Opportunities of Energy systems engineering
Overview of Energy Systems Engineering
Energy systems engineers oversee complex energy conversion and distribution systems, work to improve energy storage systems, and manage the efficient use of energy in building, manufacturing, and processing systems. In a simple way, it defines as the following: Energy Engineering (Energy System) is a multidisciplinary field that deals with the efficiency of energy, management facility, services of energy, plant engineering, environmental compliance, and alternative energy technologies.
Energy Systems Engineering is an exciting and unique undergraduate program which offer to meet energy crises by opening a new Department of Energy Systems Engineering. This BS/BSc/BE degree is a first of its kind in the country with the curriculum addressing the call for the development of alternative sources of energy and conventional fossil fuels at the undergraduate level.
In addition, the program will prepare students to be successful leaders in advancing the technology and management of energy; innovators and entrepreneurs in the energy sector; and academia, practicing engineers, and national leaders in the energy and associated environmental health and safety, policy and economic fields.
It will train students to be lifelong learners, problem solvers, and energy industry leaders. The curriculum will be sufficiently flexible, broad, and diverse to enable students to tailor their educational experience to particular interests, background, and expected role in the field of agriculture and society. The flexibility allows students in energy related programs such as agricultural and biological, chemical, electrical, environmental, mechanical, nuclear, and petroleum engineering, materials science and engineering, industrial health and safety, and business and finance to have dual or concurrent degrees, minors, or options.
Scope of Energy Systems Engineering:
Huge renewable energy projects are coming online all over the world. And the trend only looks set to increase. These include 2000-megawatt solar arrays, 6800-megawatt wind farms, wave power generators and geothermal power plants. Thankfully, coal and nuclear power stations are falling behind the constant innovation of the renewable energy sector. This is because of impressive technological advances which have decreased their overall cost. Advances are less apparent in the coal and nuclear fields as the barrier to entry is prohibitively expensive. For instance, the time that it takes to bring a solar farm or wind farm online is significantly shorter and cheaper than building a new conventional power plant – good news for all of us.
The typical median salary in the United States is about $70,000 per year.
As a renewable energy engineer you can expect to be involved in designing renewable energy systems (such as solar and wind plants), optimising existing energy systems, and researching and designing new renewable technologies and methods. You also have the opportunity to be part of a revolution (in energy generation) that ultimately could save the world.
Following are few universities/colleges that are offering BE Energy Systems Engineering:
|University of Agriculture||Faisalabad||B.S.c[Engg]||4 years||60500|
|Baluchistan University of Engineering & Technology||4years||16000|
|NFC Institute of Engineering & Technology||Multan||B.S.c[Engg]||4years||128400|
|Sukkur IBA University||4years||90000|
|The University of Lahore (Main Campus)||Lahore||4years||152000|
Is Energy Systems Engineering a good career choice?
The global energy landscape is changing drastically, and if you’re an aspiring energy engineer, for the better – jobs are proliferating. With the effects of global warming becoming ever more pronounced, and deadly, countries are ratcheting up investment in solar, wind and geothermal power, brining down prices in the process, and increasing their scalability. The cost of solar photovoltaic (PV) modules, for example, has fallen by 99 percent over the last four decades – a staggering drop. This shift in the energy landscape is creating huge opportunities for the budding energy engineer. And regardless of the technology used to generate and store energy, there is a growing need to create systems that make efficient use of energy, meaning energy engineer will always be in high demand. Good news, no?
Career Opportunities of Energy Systems Engineering
With the world’s thirst for energy continuing to grow, there is now an urgent demand for a well trained workforce to develop process, utilize and manage conventional, unconventional, and renewable energy sources in an environmentally safe and economically feasible way. Therefore, graduates of the Energy Systems Engineering program will have many diverse options that include the opportunity to:
- Become valuable contributors in addressing society’s energy needs and demands, successful leaders in advancing the technology and management of energy, innovators and entrepreneurs in the energy sector.
- Join the workforce or continue on for advanced degrees in various areas of energy science, engineering, and business/management.
- Enter private or public sectors as Energy Engineers to evaluate and recommend energy generation, production and processing methods and strategies.
- Address critical energy management issues of various process industries especially extraction, production and conversion industries; design engineering systems to address energy production, processing and utilization.
- Contribute in designing/ developing novel catalytic/biological/chemical processes and/or maintaining upstream technologies for petroleum and natural gas processing industries or unconventional fuels such as coal to liquids or oil shale/ tar sands processing industries.
- Join automobile manufacturing industries to work in traditional internal combustion engines or develop novel fuel cell based vehicles.
- Join major power companies in designing /maintaining/developing environmentally sound renewable power systems such as wind, solar, hydro, and geothermal or coal, oil, or gas based power generation systems
My name is Mamoon Rasheed. I am a professional web developer and graphic designer. I am working with pakistanwap from 1 month. I am also a blogger and content writter.